May 6, 2010

Fearfully Fun Fair!


We went to the Santa Barbara Fair & Expo with Grandpa and Cassi.....the boys both had fun.
Justin takes after his Dad, he's scared of heights! So when he asked to go on the big Funhouse, which required him to go across 2 L O N G Hanging Bridges.....HIGH in the sky, I thought, "there's no way he'll go on it, he is scared of the little hanging bridges at the parks that are 3-4 feet off the ground, plus he has to climb so high....." I explained to him what he had to do and he couldn't contain his excitement so off he went with Cassi. Need I say more......he held up about 10 kids that were so antsy to get across and pass him, jumping up and down, making the bridge sway even more. His hands were clenched so tight on both sides, legs spread apart for better balance, and S L O W L Y moving that there wasn't a chance of anyone getting passed him! I started feeling worse for the kids having to wait for him than Justin having to go across this bridge, 2 TIMES! Reflecting back on this, it gives me great joy that he embraced his fear and NEVER ONCE looked back, NEVER ONCE said he couldn't do it, and when he came off said he wanted to do it AGAIN! It was like the Iron Rod, NOTHING took his eyes off of that straight and narrow path, not even his Mom, Dad, Brother, Aunt, or Grandpa calling his name! I wish I could embrace my fears as he does, running full speed, never looking back or saying I can't do it! One can only hope this is a glimpse into the future of his unwavering faith, patience, resistance to temptation, and persistence.


The look of accomplishment when he finished was worth the L O N G anticipated wait.

2 comments:

Dani & Chris said...

That is so cute. Bummed I missed the adventure. I can picture justin with his legs spread out and muscles tensed up. lol

t & e said...

ok I seriously can't believe how big Justin is, what a trooper going on the bridge swing. I remember uncle ted used to have one of those crossing a river and ben and dan would run and swing and make it move because they knew it scared me. i would always run back and wait for my mom. i could learn from justin.