August 15, 2009

To laugh or not to laugh.....that is the question

So yesterday Justin had to go to his room to think about what he did (I think I actually sent him there because I was mad)...he had locked the bathroom door with the ball inside so his brother, Brandon, could not get it. Well, you cannot unlock the door from the outside......I suppose this is NOT his fault because I should've installed a new knob that would prevent this sort of mishap, however, he was teasing his brother (that comes with the territory of being a kid though, right?). Anyway, I had to take the doorknob off to get in. In the meantime I broke the inside of the door thingy trying to open it once I got the doorknob off. I put the door back together (without screwing it together so it was just 'kinda there) and after talking to Justin about what happened I told him not to close the door again. This morning Justin went to the bathroom and locked the door......yes the inevitable happened....he was locked in the bathroom! So, since he clearly had forgotten (at least I hope he did) I had to sit in front of the door with Matt, roll my eyes, and then decide to laugh about it....so I went and got the camera and took this picture....I said, Justin where are you and snapped the picture and this is what I captured...I couldn't have staged the shot more perfectly. You can tell he is smiling, one eye is in the hole in the door and the other in the hole in the broken lock mechanism! I eventually got him out after about 5 minutes and gently reminded him to not shut the door anymore. Then about an hour later I took a shower, shut the door (no I did not lock myself in) and then got out....realizing I just did what I told my child not to do....oh the mistakes we as parents make too, if only I would've remembered this before the incident of the locked bathroom door, or before Justin threw his mitt over the fence, or before Justin drew on the kitchen floor, or before Matt forgot to............ thank you Justin for reminding me, once again, that EVERYONE makes mistakes and EVERYONE loves to mess around with their siblings and it is OKAY NOT to be perfect!

6 comments:

Katie said...

Well I don't know if mom is supposed to laugh or not but I, personally, am cracking up! I love the look of happy mischief in his eyes.

Especially liked the twist at the end of thi story - Such a good reminder!

JonathanJeni said...

If Ethan did this you know I would not be laughing until later. ;) Oh the joys of parenting a young boy! I love this post! Now if I can just remember to laugh when.....

Cory Elvidge said...

LOL!!!!

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing with Charlotte last month except we were both stuck in the bathroom, and Danny wasn't home. So we just shrugged our shoulders and took a long shower, hoping he would come home soon. And luckily he did! That picture is great!!

Unknown said...

All I can say is you are going to scrapbook that right!

Anonymous said...

To LAUGH!!!!